reasons to Breastfeed Your Baby
by Maurenne Griese
Today, we hear so much about how breastfeeding
is the best food for babies, but no one ever really elaborates on why
it's best. I've listed only 46 reasons-I'm sure there are more!
Best for Baby
1. Breastfeeding is the most natural source
of nourishment and security for your baby.
2. The baby get about half of its newborn
immunities from colostrum...this is a baby's main defense against infection.
3. Colostrum has a laxative effect helping
your baby pass meconium, in turn increases hunger and stimulating mother's
milk supply. This also decreases the chances of the baby becoming jaundiced.
4. It is the most easily digested form of
infant food. No constipation and fewer tummy upsets.
5. Breast milk provides antibodies to the
illnesses that the mother has been exposed to.
6. It helps protect the baby from infections.
7. Prolongs the period of natural immunities
to mumps, measles, polio and others infectious diseases.
8. Decreases predisposition to future diseases.
9. During illness, it helps keep the baby
well hydrated and speeds recovery. *Mothers Milk is considered a Clear
10. Reduces the risk of allergies.
11. Reduces the risk of obesity later in
12. When a baby nurses from both breasts,
baby's hand eye coordination is automatically enhanced by being switched
from side to side.
13. Breastfeeding promotes proper jaw, dental,
and speech development.
14. Reduces frustration by satisfying the
15. It brings mom and baby close, building
strong attachments. 16. It provides close physical contact.
17. Baby makes a connection between Mom and
Milk. The connection enhances love.
18. Suckling at the breast is soothing for
a baby who is upset or ill.
19. The baby know Mom through all its senses.
20. A baby grows and all its needs are met,
such as closeness and security. This affects the Mother/Child bond in
a positive way.
21. It lessens the chances of getting Crohns
Disease, Diabetes, Ulcerative Colitis, and Celiac Disease.
22. The baby will be 5 to 8 time less likely
to get childhood lymphoma if breastfed for 6 months or longer!
23. The longer the child is nursed, the higher
their IQ is likely to be.
24. A breastfed baby takes in 100 million
live cells per day. Many of these live 48 hours or longer!
25. Better brain and eye development! They
are nursed on both sides and don't favor one eye.
26. Less waste, both solid (whether you care
about the environment, or you just want to take out the trash less often),
and energy (don't have to heat formula and baby food, and wash the dishes
you dirty to make and serve them) And Guess What...Its beneficial for
the Mother too...
26. Continues the natural reproductive cycle
of conception, pregnancy, and childbirth.
27. Reduces the risk of hemorrhaging after
28. Aids in natural WEIGHT LOSS.
29. Night feedings are easier.
30. The hormone Prolactin relaxes mom, making
31. Reduces the chance of pre-menopausal
32. Saves time and $$$. (40 hours a year
and over $1000)
33. Trips away from home are easier, no worry
34. Delays the return of fertility.
35. Feels good, adding to the enjoyment of
becoming a Mother.
36. Comforting a sick or unhappy baby through
breastfeeding is easier.
37. A breastfed baby is physically different.
Softer skin, sweeter smelling, BM's don't stink, Breast Milk doesn't smell
or stain. This increases the mothers good feelings toward the baby.
38. Being able to meet the need of the baby
increases the mothers self confidence.
39. Brings the mother and baby closer.
40. Greater closeness increases a mothers
perception of her baby's needs, enhancing the feeling of oneness between
41. Breastfeeding throughout out a lifetime
for more than 25 months will reduce your chances of getting Breast cancer
42. Breastfeeding increases the self-esteem
of the mother. It is empowering! What the Fathers see as the Advantages
42. SHE has to feed the baby in the middle
of the night.
43. SHE can't leave the baby with me unless
SHE wants to pump.
44. I don't have to worry about running to
the store to get formula in the middle of the night when its 30 below
45. I don't have to worry about warming the
bottles at all hours of the day and night.
46. I get to SLEEP.
Why breastfeed? Perhaps a better question
is why not?
Maurenne Griese may be contacted at http://email@example.com.
here to view more of their articles.
Maurenne Griese is a perinatal nurse eduactor, author and consultant. Maurenne
has earned certifications as a childbirth and breastfeeding educator and
has a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing. She is also a Registered Nurse
and is board certified in Inpatient Obstetrical Nursing. Most importantly
though, she is the mother of three breastfed children.
Maurenne is a work from home mom and owns
her own business, Birth and Breastfeeding Resources. Her business offers
private childbirth classes, professional labor support, breastfeeding
education and support, products for pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding,
and seminars for health care professionals.
Maurenne asks that when you use any of her
articles, include her bio and let her know where and how you plan to use